500g butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2.5cm chunks
1 tbsp olive oil
750ml vegetable stock, hot
500g half-fat crème fraîche
150g pot crème de St Agur cheese
200g bag baby leaf spinach
50g grated vegetarian Parmesan
50g walnut pieces
A good grating of whole nutmeg
(sh)For the topping
40g wholemeal breadcrumbs
15g grated vegetarian Parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 200°c/fan180°c/gas 6. Toss the squash and oil together in an ovenproof dish and roast for 25 minutes until tender. Meanwhile, make the topping by mixing the breadcrumbs and parmesan together in a bowl.
2. In a large pan, cook the macaroni in the stock (it needs to cover the macaroni by 2cm), according to pack instructions. Drain, add the crème fraîche and the crème de St Agur to the pasta and stir to melt.
3. Stir in the spinach and allow to wilt before adding to the roasted squash, along with the parmesan and walnut pieces.
4. Mix well and season with a good grating of nutmeg (nearly a quarter of one nutmeg), salt and black pepper.
5. Preheat the grill to high. Sprinkle over the breadcrumb topping and grill until golden. Serve with a salad.
- To freeze this dish, make the macaroni cheese, but don’t grill the topping. Wrap in cling film and foil, then freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost fully, then bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 200°c/fan180°c/ gas 6. Finish under the grill until bubbling and golden.