- 150g plain flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- 100g butter, cut into cubes
- 4 large eggs
For the filling
- 500g mascarpone
- 200g tub Greek yogurt
- 300g ready-made custard
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 500g strawberries
- 2 tbsp unrefined golden icing sugar, to dust
- First, make the choux buns. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Sieve the flour onto a large sheet of baking paper.
- Put 250ml cold water into a pan with the salt and butter. Heat it gently, then as soon as the butter is melted and the liquid is bubbling, lift up the flour on the paper and tip it into the pan. Use a wooden spoon to stir it together until the mixture forms a ball and comes away from the sides of the pan. Turn off the heat, then tip the mixture into a large bowl. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Top a large baking sheet with a big sheet of baking paper. Crack the eggs into a jug and mix with a fork. Pour some of the egg into the butter and flour mixture – at first it will look like scrambled eggs but beat well with a wooden spoon. Tip in some more egg and beat again. Keep going until all the egg is added, and it looks shiny and smooth.
- Dollop 12 tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto the lined baking sheet, well spaced apart. Bake for 20 minutes (don’t open the door or the buns will sink). Turn off the oven and leave them in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Take the buns out of the oven and turn each one over. Pierce each bun with a skewer – this helps the steam escape. Put the buns back into the warm oven without turning it on, and leave them in there for 15 minutes – this will help them dry out.
- Put the buns onto a wire rack to cool. Using a serrated knife, carefully cut each bun in half, then put into paper muffin cases. Store in an airtight tin until ready to use.
- To make the filling, put the mascarpone in a large bowl and mix until smooth. Stir in the Greek yogurt, custard, sugar and vanilla.
- Hull the strawberries, then cut the fruit in half.
- Pick up a bun in a paper case, lift off the top and dollop in some filling. Arrange a few strawberries on top. Sandwich together with the bun lid. Repeat to fill all the buns.
- Hold a tea strainer over each bun and dust with a little icing sugar.