- 50g ground almonds
- 140g icing sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Pink food colouring paste
- 3 tbsp good-quality strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Line 2 large baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift the ground almonds and icing sugar together into a large bowl. Put the egg whites into a separate bowl and using an electric hand whisk, beat to soft peaks. Add the caster sugar and whisk until glossy. Fold into the almond and icing sugar mixture, along with a tiny amount of the pink food colouring. Mix until just combined and evenly pink – the mixture will reduce as the air bubbles in the meringue burst.
- Put the mixture into a disposable piping bag, snip off 1cm from the end. Pipe small blobs (about 1 heaped teaspoon each) onto the baking paper, spaced apart, so you have about 50 in total. Set aside for 10 minutes until dry to touch – this is important as it gives the macaroons the correct texture. Bake for 5 minutes, then turn the whole sheet of paper over – the macaroons will be stuck so won’t fall off. Bake for another 4 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Carefully peel off the baking paper from the macaroons, then sandwich 2 together with a tiny blob of strawberry jam in the centre. Repeat to give you 25 in total.
- Cook the macaroons on the middle and top shelves of the oven, and swap the trays around once the macaroons have been flipped over.
Store the macaroons in an airtight container for up to 3 days.