- 1.8kg ripe tomatoes, blanched in boiling water and peeled
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 mild red chillies, deseeded
- and chopped
- 450g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 300ml malt vinegar
- Halve and chop the peeled tomatoes. Put in a large pan (preferably a preserving pan) with all their juices and the rest of the ingredients except the vinegar, then bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 1½ hours, then add the vinegar and bring back to the boil. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring often, until the mixture is thick and pulpy and you can see the base of the pan when you draw a spoon through it.
- Make sure your jars are sterilised (see know how). Using a clean jam funnel, fill the jars right to the necks. Wipe the outside and rim of each, then cover the chutney with a waxed disk, wax-side down, making sure it lies flat. Screw the lids on tightly. When cold, label and store in a dark place until needed.
- To sterilise jars, wash in hot soapy water, rinse, then dry in an oven heated to 150°C/fan 130°C/gas 2. Or run through a dishwasher on its hottest setting.