- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Large knob of softened butter (see tip)
- 1½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 300g basmati rice, rinsed
- 620ml vegetable stock, hot
- 250g frozen mixed grilled vegetables (from large supermarkets)
- 80g frozen peas
- 40g flaked almonds, toasted
- 2 x 185g tins tuna, drained and flaked
- 3 large free-range eggs, cooked for 8 minutes in a pan of boiling water, peeled and quartered
- Heat the oil and half the butter in a large frying pan, then add the dried spices and fry for a couple of minutes. Stir in the rice, then pour over the stock. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer over a gentle heat for 12 minutes.
- Gently stir in the frozen mixed vegetables, peas and flaked almonds. Cover and cook for 5 minutes more over a gentle heat until the rice is tender and the stock has been absorbed.
- Remove from the heat. Season well, then stir in the remaining butter and tinned tuna. Top with the eggs. Cover and leave for 5 minutes to warm through.
- If you have a leftover tub of cream lingering in your fridge, stir through a couple of tablespoonfuls instead of the butter at the end of cooking.