- 1kg good-quality minced lamb
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium red onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 25g fresh flatleaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Turkish lavash or flatbreads, pickled long green chillies, natural wholemilk yogurt and a mixed salad, to serve
- Mix all the ingredients together (except the serving suggestions) in a large bowl and season well. Shape into 8 even-size burgers, each about 2cm thick. Space out on a tray, cover and chill for 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- If you are using a charcoal barbecue, light about 30 minutes before you want to cook. If using a gas barbecue, preheat 10 minutes beforehand.
- Barbecue the burgers directly over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes each side or until just cooked through.
- Serve with Turkish bread, pickled chillies, yogurt and a mixed salad (we used chopped cherry tomatoes, red pepper, cucumber, spring onions, red chilli and mint, dressed with red wine vinegar and olive oil).
- Cooking temperature: direct medium heat.