1kg good-quality minced lamb
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 medium red onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
25g fresh flatleaf parsley leaves, chopped
2 tbsp tomato purée
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
Turkish lavash or flatbreads, pickled long green chillies, natural wholemilk yogurt and a mixed salad, to serve
1. Mix all the ingredients together (except the serving suggestions) in a large bowl and season well. Shape into 8 even-size burgers, each about 2cm thick. Space out on a tray, cover and chill for 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
2. If you are using a charcoal barbecue, light about 30 minutes before you want to cook. If using a gas barbecue, preheat 10 minutes beforehand.
3. Barbecue the burgers directly over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes each side or until just cooked through.
4. Serve with Turkish bread, pickled chillies, yogurt and a mixed salad (we used chopped cherry tomatoes, red pepper, cucumber, spring onions, red chilli and mint, dressed with red wine vinegar and olive oil).
- Cooking temperature: direct medium heat.
- Valpolicella Classico Superiore 2009 Ripasso La Casetta di Ettore Righetti Valpolicella Ripasso combines the power and class of the Amarone with the bright fruit of the classic Valpolicella. Aromas of cherry, plum and berry fruits complemented by vanilla hints. Fine and rounded, a velvety smooth palate bursting with intense and complex flavours. A perfect match to barbecued burgers.