Cranberries, nuts and oranges all give this pudding a festive feel. Impress your guests with this delicious pudding this Christmas.
- For the topping
- 15g soft butter
- 15g light soft brown sugar
- 12 shelled pecan halves
- 50g cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- For the sponge
- 50g soft butter
- 50g caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of ½ small orange
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 25g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 25g ground almonds
- For the crème anglaise
- 150ml whole milk
- 50ml double cream
- 2 large free-range egg yolks
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- Finely grated zest of ½ orange
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. For the topping, mix the butter and sugar together and spread the mixture over the base of 2 x 250ml metal pudding basins. Arrange the pecans and cranberries on top.
- 2. To make the sponge, cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, then beat in the orange zest. Gradually beat in the egg, adding a small spoonful of flour with the last addition. Sift over the remaining flour and baking powder, and gently fold into the mixture along with the ground almonds.
- 3. Divide the sponge mixture between basins, put in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer pushed into the centre of the pudding comes out clean.
- 4. While the puddings are baking, make the crème anglaise. Bring the milk and cream to the boil in a small, non-stick pan. Briefly whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl, then whisk in the cornflour and orange zest.
- 5. Whisk the hot creamy milk into the yolk and sugar mixture, then return it to the pan and stir over a medium-low heat for a few minutes until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the wooden spoon. Do not let the mixture boil. Pour the custard into a jug.
- 6. Run a knife around each pudding and turn out onto serving plates. Serve with the hot crème anglaise.
Per pudding: 762kcals, 55.2g fat, (19.9g saturated), 10.7g protein, 56g carbs (47.4g sugars), 1.1g salt, 3.1g fibre
Per serving of creme anglaise: 243kcals, 21.9g fat, (11.8g saturated), 5.8g protein, 5.7g carbs (3.6g sugars), 0.1g salt, no fibre
More Christmas recipes
Vegetarian Christmas recipes