3 carrots, grated
200g (about 2) maris piper potatoes, grated and squeezed really dry
Bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
200g vegetarian feta, crumbled
3 tbsp plain flour
6 large, very fresh free-range eggs
Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
1. Mix the carrot, potato, onion, parsley and feta in a bowl. Add the flour and season well. Separate 2 of the eggs, then stir the egg yolks into the veg mixture. Put the 2 egg whites in a clean bowl and whisk to soft peaks, then fold into the mixture.
2. Heat 0.5cm oil in a sauté pan. Add heaped spoonfuls of the mixture to the oil, in batches, cooking for 3 minutes each side until golden brown – you should make about 12 in all. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper and keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, bring a wide pan of water to the boil and soft-poach the remaining eggs for 3-4 minutes each.
4. Place 3 fritters on each plate and top each with a poached egg to serve.
- You can substitute soft goat's cheese for the feta in the veggie fritters.