- 450g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 100g marshmallows
- 2 tbsp milk
- 100g unsalted butter
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl. Make a dip in the middle of the sugar with a spoon. Put the marshmallows in a pan and add the milk, butter and vanilla extract. Put the pan over a gentle heat and stir very carefully with a wooden spoon for a few minutes, until melted. Pour the mixture into the middle of the sugar and mix until it is smooth. Cool for 10 minutes, then put onto a piece of baking paper, wrap and chill in the fridge for about 1 hour to firm up.
- Sprinkle icing sugar over a work surface and a rolling pin. Cut the fudge into 4 equal pieces, then roll 1 piece at a time with the rolling pin until it is about 5mm thick. Choose some small Christmas cutters and use to cut out fudge shapes. Re-roll the trimmings to make about 70-80 shapes. Put on baking sheets lined with baking paper and leave for 30 minutes to firm up slightly. Store in an airtight container with baking paper between each layer to stop them sticking together, and keep in a cool place for up to 3 weeks.
- Marshmallows are often sold in 200g bags, so you can use half a bag for this fudge and the other half for the chocolate toffee crispy cakes.