Pimm’s for breakfast?
This recipe was created by delicious. deputy food editor Lottie Covell especially for the family-run oat company Mornflake. They will be serving this fresh, wonderful, slightly boozy bircher muesli at their show garden exhibit at this year’s RHS Chelsea Flower Show.
Serves 4. Hands-on time 15-20 min, oven time 10 min, plus soaking
Food team’s tips: Use lemon juice instead of orange juice if you prefer a slightly sharper taste, and you can swap the fruit for any other seasonal favourites. When borage flowers come out in summer, they’d make a pretty additional decoration when you serve the bircher muesli.
- 150g Special Edition Mornflake Organic Oats
- 100g Mornflake Jumbo Oats
- 100ml fresh orange juice
- 150ml unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 2-3 tbsp Pimm’s (depending how boozy you’d like your bircher muesli to be)
- 150ml full-fat greek yogurt
- 200g strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 ripe peaches or nectarines, stoned and sliced
- A few fresh mint sprigs, leaves picked and roughly chopped
For the granola topping
- 50g Mornflake jumbo oats
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 1½ tbsp sunflower oil
- 40g almonds (preferably with the skins still on), roughly chopped
- 15g coconut chips
- Put the 150g Special Edition Mornflake Organic Oats and the 100g Mornflake Jumbo Oats in a large mixing bowl with the orange juice, almond milk, honey and Pimm’s. Stir well, then cover and leave to soak for at least an hour, or put in the fridge for up to 12 hours (you can do this overnight so it’s ready for breakfast in the morning).
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. In a medium bowl, mix all the granola topping ingredients together, then spread onto a baking tray. Roast for 5-10 minutes until crisp and lightly golden. Leave to cool (leftover granola will keep well in a sealed container, at room temperature, for a week or two).
- To finish and serve the bircher muesli, stir the yogurt and half the strawberries into the soaked oats. Serve topped with the peach or nectarine slices, the remaining strawberries, a handful of the granola topping and a sprinkle of fresh chopped mint.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine this month for a half price subscriptionSubscribe