Asian potato cakes with oriental coleslaw
- March 2007
- Serves 4
- Ready in about 75 minutes
This Asian-inspired potato cake recipe, made with sweet potatoes, polenta and Thai curry paste, makes a lovely vegetarian starter or light dinner.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 16.6g (2.2g saturated)
- 59.1g (10.6g sugar)
- 1 small sweet potato, about 200g
- 400g waxy potatoes, cut into chunks
- 30g good Thai red curry paste
- 15g mayonnaise
- 25g plain flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 100g polenta or coarse cornmeal
For the coleslaw
- 400g red cabbage, cored and sliced
- 100g beansprouts
- 30g wasabi paste (from supermarkets)
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 tbsp mild olive oil, plus extra to fry
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Juice and zest of 1 lime, plus extra wedges to serve
- Good handful chopped fresh coriander
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6 and bake the sweet potato for 40 minutes, until cooked. Split and scoop out the potato into a bowl, mash and set aside. Discard the potato skins.
- Mix the coleslaw ingredients in a large bowl but reserve half the zest and coriander. Season and set aside.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for 15 minutes, until tender. Drain, mash and add to the sweet potato with the curry paste, mayonnaise and the rest of the zest and coriander. Season, mix, cover, and chill for 30 minutes.
- Mould the mixture into 8 cakes, then coat each in flour, egg and polenta. Fry in batches in a little oil for 3-4 minutes a side, until golden. Serve 2 per person with coleslaw and extra lime wedges.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Savoury pancake recipes
Pulled pork with okonomiyaki (Japanese savoury pancakes)
Impress your guests with a Japanese-style brunch of melt-in-the-mouth pulled pork on top of a...
Vegan dinner recipes
Thai-flavoured chickpea and millet cakes with red pepper sauce
Golden, crispy and bursting with Thai flavours – Rose Elliot’s recipe for chickpea and millet...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...