Easy steak, chips and salad with cheat’s béarnaise dressing
- May 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 20-25 min
Creamy béarnaise drizzled over tender steak is a great choice for a mid-week supper. Rustle up this British favourite for your next meal.
- 17.9g (5.9g saturated)
- 29.7g (2.8g sugars)
- 750g new potatoes, cut into quarters (chip size)
- Olive oil
- 2 British sirloin steaks, about 250g each
- 200g mixed rocket and watercress salad leaves
For the béarnaise dressing
- 30ml full-fat créme fraîche
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh tarragon leaves, roughly chopped
- Heat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan/gas 6. Put the potatoes in a large baking tray, toss them in 1 tbsp olive oil, season well with salt and pepper, then roast for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan over a high heat until smoking hot. Lightly oil the steaks and season well all over. Griddle for 2½ minutes on each side for medium-rare, or 3 minutes on each side for medium. Remove from the pan and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl until well combined. To serve, toss the leaves and the potatoes with the dressing, then slice the steaks and lay them on top.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tex Mex beef
This recipe cooks steak with red onions, cumin, sweet paprika and cocoa powder until it’s...
Cheat’s griddled steaks with caramelised onions and garlic mayo
A steak recipe has never been so easy. We’ve used good quality chutney and slices...