Middle Eastern-spiced spinach and lentil soup with garlic yogurt
- June 2013
- Serves 6
- 1 Hour
Make the most of seasonal spinach with this fragrant vegetarian soup recipe. For non-veggies, chicken stock gives a fantastic flavour.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 6.6g (1.3g saturated)
- 22.5g (5.9g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 2 tsp sweet paprika (unsmoked), plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 250g red lentils
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 400g spinach, washed, dried, large stalks removed
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
For the garlic yogurt
- 100g natural or Greek yogurt
- 2 small garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- For the soup, heat the oil in a large pan, then add the onion, carrot, garlic, chilli flakes and some salt and pepper. Stir, cover and cook over a low heat for 7-8 minutes until soft and lightly golden.
- Uncover the pan, add the ground cumin and paprika and cook for a few seconds, then stir in the purée. Add the lentils and stock and bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for ?20 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Meanwhile make the garlic yogurt by mixing all the ingredients with a pinch of salt. Chill until needed.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the soup and simmer for 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bunch up the spinach leaves and slice them across into fine shreds. Fill 6 deep soup bowls to the brim with the spinach, then ladle over the boiling hot soup and stir. (You can stir the spinach into the soup if you prefer.) As soon as the spinach has wilted, serve topped with a spoonful of the garlic yogurt, sprinkled with a little paprika and with lemon wedges for squeezing over.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sweet potato recipes
Roast sweet potato, beetroot and red onion salad with miso dressing
The fermented soya bean paste from Japan isn’t just for making miso soup, it adds...