Pigs in blankets traybake
- November 2020
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 40-50 min
If pigs in blankets are your favourite Christmas side dish, you’re in for a treat. This pigs-in-blankets traybake is full of Christmassy flavours – brie, redcurrant jelly and sweet potatoes with bacon-wrapped chipolatas – but is an easy dish for midweek meals during the rest of December and beyond.
If you prefer to keep things traditional, our easiest pigs in blankets recipe is the one you need.
- 32.1g (12.7g saturated)
- 47.1g (10.5g sugars)
- 300g potatoes, cut into chunks
- 300g sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- Bushy rosemary sprig or a few fresh thyme sprigs, leaves chopped
- Olive oil for drizzling and frying
- 16 bacon-wrapped chipolatas (about 650g)
- 100g day-old breadcrumbs
- Small handful fresh flatleaf parsley, leaves picked and finely chopped
- Large pinch chilli flakes or paprika
- 2 tbsp freshly grated parmesan
- 2 tsp redcurrant jelly
- 150g brie or camembert, cut into chunks
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Put the potatoes and sweet potatoes in a large roasting tin with the onions and rosemary or thyme, then toss with the olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Give the potatoes/onions a shake in the tray, then arrange the pigs in blankets on top and roast for a further 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add a glug of olive oil to a large non-stick frying pan and fry the breadcrumbs over a high heat until golden brown and crisp. Stir in the parsley, chilli/paprika, grated parmesan and some seasoning. Set aside.
- Once the sausages are nicely browned and cooked through, dot a little redcurrant jelly over each one to melt and become a glaze. Scatter the brie/camembert over the tray, followed by the breadcrumbs, then drizzle again with a little more olive oil and bake for 5-10 minutes so the cheese melts. Serve straight from the pan.
Make this dairy free by omitting the cheese and replacing it with a few spoonfuls of punchy kimchee. You could also swap the redcurrant jelly for a spoonful of miso mixed with a splash of soy sauce. Make this veggie by using plant-based sausages and a vegetarian hard cheese.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter