The ultimate bacon and egg sandwich
- February 2013
- Serves 4
- Ready in 15 minutes
A bacon and egg sandwich with a difference. Made with sourdough bread, mustard and cheddar cheese – it’s the perfect brunch recipe for a lazy day.
- 41.5g (18.8g saturated)
- 20g (1.2g sugars)
- 8 British dry-cure streaky bacon rashers
- 1 tbsp lard or vegetable oil
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 4 thick sourdough slices, toasted
- Butter to spread
- Grainy mustard to spread
- 8 thin slices of good cheddar
- Heat the grill to medium-high, then cook the bacon for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, heat the lard or oil in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat. Crack in the eggs, then reduce the heat and cook for 2-3 minutes until the white is set.
- Spread each slice of sourdough toast with a lick of butter and the mustard. Top with 2 cheddar slices, 2 grilled bacon rashers and a fried egg. Season, then serve.
Rate & review