Five reasons to go to work on an egg
Eggs have had a bad press over the years. First they were labelled as being high in cholesterol, then came the salmonella scare. But eggs are handy nutritional superstars and here’s why…
1. At around 70 calories apiece, they’re a fantastic source of low-calorie protein.
2. Starting the day with an egg may help you lose weight. US researchers found that when they compared two groups who ate the same number of calories for breakfast – one group ate eggs, while the other group enjoyed bagels – the egg eaters lost twice as much weight, had more energy and an 83% greater reduction in their waistline than the bagel eaters.
3. They may help protect your eyes against macular degeneration and cataracts thanks to the nutrient lutein, present in egg yolk.
4. Apart from raw liver, egg yolks are the richest source of the nutrient choline, which is vital for brain function and liver health.
5. And last but not least… eggs are cheap, versatile, easy to cook and delicious!
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter