Three cheers for spuds
Let’s hear it for the potato. Its reputation as a high-carb comfort food just doesn’t do it justice – potatoes offer a number of benefits and we offer a number of delicious potato recipes.
- Surprisingly high in immune-boosting vitamin C – as a nation 15% of our vitamin C comes from potatoes.
- Packed with nutrients, especially if you eat the skin too. A jacket potato contains almost a third of your recommended daily intake of folate and is a good source of vitamins B1 and B6.
- A source of chemicals called kukoamines, which may help lower blood pressure according to scientists at the Institute of Food Research.
- Almost fat-free. A medium-sized baked potato will set you back only 160 calories – as long as you give the butter a miss!
- One of the ‘greenest’ crops – for the same amount of water, potatoes produce more edible calories than rice, wheat or maize.
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter