How to brine a turkey: tips and video
Take your Christmas dinner up a notch and learn how to brine a turkey, ensuring a beautifully moist texture and even more flavour.
Steps on how to brine a turkey:
- For a 5kg free-range turkey, you’ll need a large clean plastic container filled with 8 litres of water.
- To create your brine, add 200g of table salt, some black peppercorns, a cinnamon stick, a nob of thinly sliced fresh ginger, 250g of light Muscovado sugar, one whole orange (halved and squeezed) and 8 tablespoons of maple syrup.
- Stir the mixture until all the salt has dissolved.
- Carefully lower your turkey into the brining solution.
- It should be fully submerged, so do add more water if you have to.
- Cover the container with foil or a lid and leave overnight in a cool place.
- Lift the turkey from the brine and dry with a paper towel an hour or two before it’s due to go in the oven.
Or, check out our roast turkey recipes.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...