How to make the best crispy oven chips
Homemade oven chips often turn out soggy, follow these steps to get perfect crispy oven chips every time.
1. Use floury potatoes, such as Maris Piper, King Edward or Rooster, that have been stored in a cool, dry place. Peel, then slice into uniform batons (about 1cm thick).
2. Bring a pan of water to the boil, then add the sliced potatoes and parboil for 3 minutes. Drain, then leave to steam dry.
3. Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. In a roasting tin big enough for the chips to cook without crowding (which would make them soggy), add a few tbsp oil with a high smoke point, such as groundnut oil, or use beef dripping. Put the tin in the oven to heat.
4. Toss the chips in the hot oil to coat, then sprinkle with sea salt and cook for 30 -35 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden.
5. Sprinkle the cooked chips with a little more sea salt, then serve without delay.