Baked fragrant rice
- August 2010
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of butter
- 6 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 250g basmati rice
- 50g toasted flaked almonds
- 550ml chicken stock, hot
- 2 dried kaffir lime leaves (from Asian supermarkets, Waitrose or thaitaste.co.uk)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Heat the oil and butter in an ovenproof sauté pan and soften the shallot for 5 minutes, allowing it to colour a little. Stir in the cumin seeds for the final minute. Stir through the rice and almonds.
- Pour over the stock, add the lime leaves, season, then bring to the boil. Cover with a tight-fitting lid or foil. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes until the rice is tender and the stock absorbed. Adjust the seasoning. Keep covered until ready to serve.
To freeze: spread the cooked rice on a baking tray to cool quickly, then freeze in a plastic container for up to 2 months. Defrost thoroughly and reheat until piping hot.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter