Balti prawn parcels with spinach rice
- July 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make and 10-12 minutes to barbecue
Ever tried cooking curry on your barbecue? Give it a go with these prawn parcels. The prawns are cooked in individual parcels so guests can each have their own.
- 5.3g (1g saturated)
- 53.5g (7.6g sugar)
- 3 tbsp balti curry paste (we like Patak’s)
- 200g natural yogurt
- 24 large, raw peeled prawns
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cubed
- Small handful chopped fresh coriander, plus leaves to garnish
- 225g basmati rice
- Small bag baby spinach, washed
- Preheat the barbecue. In a large bowl, mix the curry paste and yogurt. Add the prawns, tomatoes, red pepper and chopped coriander and toss to lightly coat in the mixture.
- Make 4 large, double-thickness squares of foil. Divide the prawn mixture between the centre of each, then bring the edges up all around to enclose and seal the parcels really well. Place on the hot barbecue and cook for 10-12 minutes, turning halfway with a fish slice, until the parcels have puffed up and the prawns are cooked through. Carefully open 1 parcel to check the prawns have turned pink; if they haven’t, cook for a few more minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in boiling, lightly salted water for 12 minutes or until just cooked. Stir in the spinach to wilt, then drain well. Return to the pan, season and set aside, covered, for a few minutes. Fluff up the rice grains with a fork.
- To serve, place an opened prawn parcel on each plate, scatter with a few coriander leaves and spoon the spinach rice alongside.
You could replace the prawns with cubes of salmon, chicken breast or pork loin steaks.
To cook indoors: Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Place the parcels on a baking tray and cook in the hot oven for 10-12 minutes.
Wine note: Try an impressive, yet inexpensive South African Sauvignon Blanc with this.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...