Beetroot remoulade with buttermilk and horseradish
- January 2014
- Serves 4 (as a side dish)
- Hands-on time 20 min
This simple beetroot remoulade with buttermilk and horseradish will add nutty flavours as a delicious side dish.
- 1.8g (1g saturated)
- 10.7g (9.6g sugars)
- 4 medium beetroot (about 450g), peeled
- Zest and juice of 1 small lemon
- 2 tbsp soured cream
- 75ml buttermilk
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tbsp freshly grated horseradish (or 4 tbsp ready-grated from a jar – avoid creamed horseradish sauce)
- Large bunch of celery leaves (see tips), or fresh dill
- Finely julienne the beetroot (see tip) and squeeze over some of the lemon juice. In a bowl, whisk the soured cream and buttermilk, then stir in the garlic and horseradish. Season to taste. Shred the celery leaves or dill and sprinkle over the remoulade to serve.
This is great with smoked duck, cured iberico ham or homemade soda bread. Try it with the potato scotch eggs too.
Look for celery stalks with a good sprouting of leaves – the leaves have an intense celery flavour that goes perfectly with the nutty beetroot.
To julienne a beetroot by hand, cut in half then, resting it on its flat side, slice again into half-moons. Slice each section into thin matchsticks.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...