Bourbon and maple ice cream coupes
- February 2017
- Makes around 500ml ice cream
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus at least 8 hours freezing
Creamy, decadent and a little bit boozy – these adults only ice cream coupes were designed for Friday nights in, in front of the telly.
- 18.5g (10.8g saturated)
- 10.3g (9.4g sugars)
For 2 x 50ml scoops
- 3 medium free-range eggs, separated
- 120ml maple syrup
- 250ml double cream
- Juice ½ orange
- Bourbon for pouring over
- Amarena or maraschino cherries in syrup and strips of orange zest to serve (optional)
- Put the egg yolks and maple syrup into a large mixing bowl and whisk using an electric hand mixer for about 5 minutes until moussey and aerated – when you lift the whisk the mixture should drop off and remain briefly visible (as a ‘ribbon’) on the surface. In another mixing bowl, whip the double cream with the orange juice to soft peaks (the peaks flop over when the beaters are lifted out), then set aside. Fold the cream into the egg mixture using a balloon whisk.
- In a third clean bowl and using clean beaters, whisk the egg whites to medium-stiff peaks. Fold into the egg and cream mixture, starting with a tablespoon, then adding the rest in 2 additions. Gently transfer to a freezerproof container, then freeze for at least 8 hours until solid.
- To assemble, take the ice cream out of the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Scoop into bowls or glasses and pour over a generous splash of bourbon. Serve with a twist of orange peel and, if you like, a maraschino or amarena cherry.
The maple ice cream will keep in the freezer for up to 1 month.
This is a take on a classic French pudding in which sorbet or ice cream is teamed with a spirit and served in a coupe. We’ve made a no-churn ice cream with a light, creamy texture similar to a parfait.
The combination of orange, bourbon and sweet maple has hints of an Old Fashioned cocktail, so we’ve garnished it with orange zest and cherries, but they’re not essential.
NOTE Contains raw egg.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter