Cod goujons in coconut batter
- November 2007
- Sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 125g plain flour
- 13/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 700g skinned thick cod fillet
- 25g plain flour, for dusting
- 1 lemon, halved, to serve
- Fill a medium, heavy-based saucepan two-thirds full with sunflower oil. Heat until a cube of bread browns in 20 seconds. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add 175ml cold water and the Thai fish sauce and gradually mix together to make a smooth batter. Stir in the coconut and another 1-2 tablespoons of cold water if the batter is a little stiff.
- Cut the cod into chunky strips, about 2.5cm across. Season with salt, then lightly dust with the flour and shake off the excess. Dip the fish into the batter, then fry in batches (4-5 pieces at a time) for 5 minutes, until crisp and golden brown. Lift out and drain briefly on kitchen paper.
- Divide the cod goujons between 4 serving plates. Serve with the lemon halves to squeeze over and some oven-baked chunky chips and sweet chilli sauce, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Home-salted cod fishcakes with salsa verde mayonnaise
Crisp, golden and served with a creamy salsa verde – this Debbie Major fishcake recipe...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...