Cod goujons in coconut batter
- November 2007
- Sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 125g plain flour
- 13/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 700g skinned thick cod fillet
- 25g plain flour, for dusting
- 1 lemon, halved, to serve
- Fill a medium, heavy-based saucepan two-thirds full with sunflower oil. Heat until a cube of bread browns in 20 seconds. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add 175ml cold water and the Thai fish sauce and gradually mix together to make a smooth batter. Stir in the coconut and another 1-2 tablespoons of cold water if the batter is a little stiff.
- Cut the cod into chunky strips, about 2.5cm across. Season with salt, then lightly dust with the flour and shake off the excess. Dip the fish into the batter, then fry in batches (4-5 pieces at a time) for 5 minutes, until crisp and golden brown. Lift out and drain briefly on kitchen paper.
- Divide the cod goujons between 4 serving plates. Serve with the lemon halves to squeeze over and some oven-baked chunky chips and sweet chilli sauce, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Fish fingers with chipped potatoes and tartare sauce
These herby fish fingers with chipped potatoes are a great family meal that’s much healthier...
Cod with garlic sweet potato mash and lemon spinach
A quick and healthy fish recipe made with just six ingredients and ready in 25...