Fish and chips with pea puré
- October 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 30 minutes to make, 35-40 minutes to cook
This healthy fish and chips recipe has 40g less fat and 200 fewer calories compared to the traditional dish.
- 10.1g (1.7g saturated)
- 56.2g (4g sugar)
- 70g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp capers, rinsed
- Grated zest of 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges to serve
- 4 sprigs of fresh flatleaf parsley
- 2½ tbsp olive oil
- 4 x 140g sustainably sourced cod loins
- 800g potatoes, scrubbed and cut into chips
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 4 tbsp vegetable stock
- 300g frozen peas, defrosted
- Handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp low-fat crème fraîche
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. To prepare the fish, place the breadcrumbs, capers, lemon zest, parsley and 1 tbsp olive oil in a food processor and process until it resembles a crumble mixture.
- Tip the mixture onto a baking tray and roll the fish in it, pressing with your hands to coat. Chill the fish pieces until ready to cook.
- Cook the chips in boiling water for 4-5 minutes until just tender. Drain well, patting dry with kitchen paper. Place in a roasting tin, season, then toss with 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Roast for 15 minutes, then turn and roast for another 20-25 minutes.
- Place the breadcrumb-coated fish on a baking sheet and cook for 10-12 minutes or until it flakes easily.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a pan and sauté the spring onion for 1-2 minutes. Add the stock, bubble to reduce by half, then add the peas, mint and crème fraîche. Stir until heated through, then blend to a chunky purée with a stick blender. Season to taste.
- Serve the fish and chips with the pea purée on the side.
Oven-cooking the potato instead of deep-frying means you get chips with a reduced calorie count.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Brussels sprouts recipes
Easy baked fish and chips with fried brussels sprouts
A great variation to fish and chips, this baked fish recipe makes the most of...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...