- August 2013
- Serves 6
- Takes 15 min to make, plus chilling
Try variations with caramelised onions; salted anchovies and lemon zest; or chopped green peppercorns, and melt over steak.
- 86 kcals
- 8.9g (5.8g saturated)
- 0.2g (0.1g sugar)
For each flavoured butter:
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
For the blue cheese butter:
- 100g creamy blue cheese (we used Saint Agur)
For the garlic and herb butter:
- Small bunch each of fresh curly parsley and chives, finely chopped
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- For each butter, mix the 150g butter with the other ingredients, season well and chill for 20 minutes. When a little firmer, put on cling film and roll up into a long cylinder. Roll tightly in more cling film and chill until firm, then slice off discs as needed. To help the butter melt onto the steak, flash it under the grill or give it a blast with a chef’s blow torch.
You could also flavour the butter with caramelised onions; finely chopped, salted anchovies and lemon zest; or chopped green peppercorns.
It will keep in the fridge for a week (or in the freezer for up to 3 months – but defrost the slices before putting on the steak).
Rate & review