- August 2010
- 225g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt into a bowl
- 50g lard (at room temperature)
- 150ml warm water
- Sift 225g plain flour, ½ tsp baking powder and ½ tsp salt into a bowl. Add 50g lard (at room temperature) and rub with your fingertips until thoroughly incorporated. Mix in 150ml warm water to make a slightly sticky dough. Knead for minutes on a lightly floured surface until smooth, then wrap in cling film and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and keep covered with cling film while you shape and cook each tortilla. Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll it out into an 18cm disc.
- Heat a flat griddle or dry heavy-based frying pan over a high heat. Add the tortilla and flip
- it over as soon as little bubbles start to appear around the edge of the dough. Continue to cook for a few more seconds, pressing down on the tortilla with a fish slice as it starts to puff up, until it browns in patches underneath. Flip over one more time, cook for a few more seconds, then remove, wrap in a clean tea towel and set aside.
- It’s important not to cook tortillas for more than a few seconds on each side or they’ll become dry and brittle. Repeat with the remaining balls of dough.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter