Georgia peach cobbler
- July 2013
- Serves 10-12
- Takes 35 minutes to make, 55 minutes to cook
This easy-to-make Georgia peach cobbler dessert is perfect served with cream or vanilla ice cream, and is a guaranteed summertime favourite.
- 15.1g (8.7g saturated)
- 48.6g (25.8g sugars)
For 10 servings
- 90g cold unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 12 ripe peaches, peeled, stoned and sliced (see tip)
- 100g light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 100ml double cream
- 80ml whole milk
- 1 large free-range egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300g self-raising flour
- 60g golden caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Lightly butter a 2.5 litre ovenproof dish. In a bowl, toss together the peach slices, brown sugar, cornflour and lemon zest, then scatter over the base of the prepared dish. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cream, milk, egg and vanilla. In another bowl, sift together the flour, caster sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and scatter over the flour mixture. Using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it forms coarse pea-size crumbs. Add the cream and egg mixture and stir until the dough just comes together.
- Remove the dish of peaches from the oven. Divide the dough into 12-14 pieces and roll into rough balls. Dot them evenly all over the surface of the dish. Return the dish to the oven and bake for about 30-40 minutes until the top is golden and the peach juices are bubbling around the edges. Sprinkle with extra golden caster sugar and serve. It’s great with cream or vanilla ice cream.
To peel the peaches, plunge them into a pan of boiling water for about 30 seconds, remove with a slotted spoon and put in a bowl of iced water. The skin should then come off easily.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...