Goan curry paste
- August 2010
- Makes a large dish
- Ready in 20 min
Use this in our Goan-style stuffed mackerel recipe and freeze the rest to use another time.
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp each cumin and fennel seeds
- 3cm piece of cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- ½ tsp cardamom seeds (from around 10 pods)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 dried red Kashmiri chillies (from Asian grocers and Waitrose)
- 40g garlic cloves
- 2 tsp palm or light muscovado sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 50g fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Heat a dry heavy-based frying pan over a low heat. Add 1 tbsp coriander seeds and 2 tsp each cumin and fennel seeds, then toast briefly until they smell aromatic. Tip into a spice grinder and add a 3cm piece of cinnamon, 1 tsp cloves, 1 tsp black peppercorns, ½ tsp cardamom seeds (from around 10 pods), 1 tsp ground turmeric and 2 dried red Kashmiri chillies. Grind to a fine powder.
- Tip into the smallest bowl of your food processor and add 40g garlic cloves, 2 tsp palm or light muscovado sugar, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 50g fresh ginger, roughly chopped, and 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Blend into a smooth paste.
Rate & review