Jeera pulao rice
- October 2015
- Serves 4 as a side dish
- Hands-on time 5 min, simmering time 10 min, plus soaking
A traditional Punjabi rice dish packed with the aromatic flavours of cloves, cardamom and bay.
- 3.5g (0.3g saturated)
- 30 (0.1g sugars)
- 1 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil or sunflower oil
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds
- 3 cloves or ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 black peppercorns
- 1 black cardamom pod
- 150g basmati rice, washed well, rinsed, soaked for 30 minutes in cold water, then drained
- Put the oil in a sauté pan over a medium heat and cook the cumin seeds, cloves, bay leaves, black peppercorns and cardamom pod until the spices crackle (about 3 minutes). Add the rice with a big pinch of salt, then cook for a minute. Pour in 300ml cold water.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes until the water has evaporated from the surface. Turn the heat to the lowest setting and cook for 2-3 minutes with the lid on. Take off the heat, rest for 5 minutes, then serve.
Rate & review