Kippers with eggs – Florentine-style
- December 2007
- 2 eggs
- 2 smoked kippers
- 225g bag baby leaf spinach
- Serve with lemon wedges and crusty bread
- Fill a deep, wide frying pan with boiling water, place over a high heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat, swirl the water rapidly using a spoon and drop in 2 eggs, 1 at a time – the swirling water will help the egg white wrap around the yolk.
- Poach for 2-3 minutes or until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Add 2 smoked kippers to the simmering water and heat through for 2 minutes. Transfer to kitchen paper to drain. Meanwhile, pierce a bag of baby leaf spinach a few times and microwave on high for 11/2-2 minutes, until just wilted.
- Tip into a bowl, season and divide between 2 plates. Rest the kippers on the spinach, top each with a poached egg and season. Serve with lemon wedges and crusty bread to mop up the yolk, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Savoury waffles with smoked salmon, avocado and eggs
You don’t even need a waffle iron to make these savoury waffles! Get out a...