Meat and mash pie
- October 2011
- Serves 4
- 10 minutes to make, 40-45 minutes to cook
Donal Skehan’s classic British meat pie recipe is comfort food at its best and great with a little Parmesan sprinkled on top.
- 31.4g (14.8g saturated)
- 45.7g (6.1g sugars)
- 1kg potatoes, cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 large free-range egg yolks
- 25g freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for sprinkling
- ½ quantity basic bolognese sauce (see Donal’s recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Place the potatoes in a large pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 12 minutes or until tender. Drain, return to the pan to dry for 2 minutes, then mash until smooth. Beat in the butter and egg yolks, then stir in the Parmesan.
- Put the bolognese sauce into a baking dish in an even layer, then top with the mash. Sprinkle Parmesan on top and season. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden on top.
Freeze the uncooked, cooled pie. Wrap in cling film, then foil, and store in the freezer for 1 month. Defrost overnight in the fridge and cook in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until piping hot.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...