Pancetta and rosemary stuffed poussins
- December 2007
- Serves 6
- Takes 30 minutes
A delicious wintry dinner. This roast poussin recipe is served with parsnips, cabbage and roast potatoes.
- 35.9g (13g saturated)
- 28g (1.8g sugar)
- 6 poussins
- 12 streaky bacon rashers
- 6 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Fresh chicken gravy, hot, to serve
For the stuffing
- 50g butter
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 150g piece smoked pancetta, finely diced and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200g fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Small bunch of fresh parsley, leaves picked and chopped
- Make the stuffing. Heat the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the shallots for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add the pancetta and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute. Remove from the heat, set aside to cool slightly, then stir in the breadcrumbs, rosemary, lemon zest and juice, parsley and some seasoning.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ fan180°C/gas 6. Wash, dry and season the poussins, then spoon the stuffing into the body cavities. Cover with bacon and rosemary sprigs, put in a roasting tin and drizzle with the oil. Roast for 20 minutes. Lift the bacon and rosemary off the birds, but leave the rashers in the tin. Cook the poussins for a further 25 minutes, until golden and cooked.
- Remove the birds from the tin, place the bacon and rosemary back on top and rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve the poussins and stuffing with hot chicken gravy, parsnips, cabbage and roast potatoes.
Rate & review