Prawn and chorizo jambalaya
- February 2008
- Serves 4 people
- Takes 30 minutes to make, plus cooling
This spicy prawn and chorizo jambalaya recipe is ready in just 30 minutes. A midweek meal with a difference.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 12.5g (4.5g saturated)
- 53g (7.6g sugar)
- 150g piece chorizo, diced
- 1 each small red and small yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 celery sticks, finely sliced diagonally
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- Leaves from a few fresh thyme sprigs
- 200g long-grain rice
- 227g can chopped tomatoes
- 700ml vegetable or chicken stock, hot
- ½ tsp Tabasco sauce, plus extra to serve
- 200g raw tiger prawns, peeled and deveined
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Cook the chorizo in a wide, deep frying pan over a medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the peppers, onion, celery, garlic and chilli to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until softened slightly. Stir in the thyme and rice, cook for 1 minute, then add the tomatoes, stock and Tabasco and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer very gently, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Season to taste.
- Stir in the chorizo, prawns and spring onions and cook for 1 minute. Serve Tabasco and lime wedges or cool completely to freeze.
To freeze: transfer to a container, label and freeze for up to 1 month. To eat: defrost at room temperature for 8 hours, or in the fridge for 24 hours. Microwave in portions, 2 at a time, on full power for 3 minutes (for a 900W microwave), gently stirring halfway, until piping hot throughout.
Rate & review