Salli jardaloo boti (lamb with apricots and fried potato straws)
- November 2005
- 4 dried red chillies, diced
- ¼ cinnamon stick, broken
- 2½ tsp cumin seeds
- 6 cardamom pods
- 8 cloves
- 4cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1kg boned shoulder of lamb, cut into 2.5cm-4cm cubes
- 12 dried ready-to-eat apricots, roughly chopped
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 200g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 25g unrefined sugar
- Using a spice (or coffee) grinder, blend the red chillies, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, cardamom pods and cloves, until finely ground.
- Mix together half the ginger, half the garlic and half the ground spices. Toss this mixture with the lamb pieces, cover and leave to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, put the apricots in a saucepan, add the stock and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and leave to soak in the cooking stock for about 30 minutes, until the apricots go soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion over a medium heat for 15-20 minutes (until rich brown). Add the remaining ginger, garlic and ground spices and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the lamb and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and season to taste. Add the vinegar, sugar, apricot and stock mixture and a little water, stir, partially cover and simmer over a low heat for 45-50 minutes until the lamb is tender.
- Meanwhile, make the potato straws. Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan or deep-fat fryer to 190°C or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds. Add the potato straws and fry for 1-2 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Serve with the lamb and pilau rice.
Rate & review