Scandi-style chicken and rice salad
- March 2018
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 25 min
Pack up this tasty Scandi-style rice salad, in tupperware, and look forward to a filling lunch on-the-go the next day.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 22.5g (3.6g saturated)
- 50.2g (18.1g sugars)
- 50g currants
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 large chicken breast
- ½ tsp crushed caraway seeds
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- Salt and pepper
- 250g pouch of steamed basmati rice,
- ½ cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- 25g toasted flaked almonds
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Large handful of chopped fresh herbs (dill, parsley and mint)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp soured cream
- In a bowl, soak the currants in the sherry vinegar. Slice the chicken breast all the way through the middle to create 2 thinner fillets the same size. Sprinkle with the caraway seeds, allspice and salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and cooked. Cool, then shred with 2 forks.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the basmati rice, shredded chicken, cucumber, toasted flaked almonds, lemon zest and fresh herbs. Drain the currants, reserving the vinegar, and add to the rice.
- Whisk the olive oil into the reserved vinegar with the wholegrain mustard and soured cream. Add a little salt and pepper, then pour over the rice and toss together. Divide between 2 plates and serve.
Assemble up to a day ahead without the dressing. Toss with the dressing just before serving.
Rate & review