Shira, saffron semolina pudding
- November 2005
- Serves 4
- Ready in 15 minutes
This Indian Shira recipe, or saffron semolina pudding, is so quick and easy to make.
- 1½ tsp ghee or vegetable oil
- 16 raisins
- 12 cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- 5 tbsp semolina
- 75g unrefined caster sugar
- 300ml full-fat milk
- Pinch of saffron strands
- Toasted flaked almonds, to garnish
- Heat the ghee or oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the raisins and nuts and cook for 2 minutes. Add the semolina, turn down the heat, then cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir in the sugar and mix well. Add the milk and saffron and cook over a low to medium heat, whisking well, for 4-6 minutes, until the semolina is soft and thickened.
- Serve hot, decorated with toasted flaked almonds.
Rate & review