Smoked chicken and roasted vegetable barley couscous
- April 2012
- Serves 2
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 40-45 minutes to cook
Make a quick midweek meal with smoked chicken, roasted vegetables and barley couscous.
- 400g pack Waitrose Ready to Roast Mediterranean Vegetable Selection, or similar
- 100g Belazu Traditional Moroccan Barley Couscous (from Waitrose and Sainsbury’s), or similar
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest of ¼ orange, juice of 1
- Handful each of fresh parsley and mint, finely chopped
- 155g pack Rannoch Smoked Chicken (from Waitrose), or similar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Roast the vegetables in the oven for 40-45 minutes until cooked.
- Meanwhile, put the couscous in a small bowl with a pinch of seasoning. Pour over 150-175ml boiling water and leave, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff up the grains with a fork, then set aside to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, orange zest, juice and a pinch each of salt, pepper and sugar, then stir through the cooked couscous. Transfer to a serving bowl and stir through the roasted vegetables and most of the herbs.
- Neatly slice the smoked chicken and stir into the barley couscous. Scatter with the remaining herbs and serve with a dollop of natural yogurt, if you want to.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Giant couscous with courgette, fig and goat’s cheese
A quick, easy to make veggie recipe made with giant couscous, courgettes, fresh mint, figs...