South African Bobotie
- October 2007
- Serves 4
- Takes 50 minutes to make and 30 minutes in the oven
Bobotie is a traditional South African dish of curried minced meat baked with a creamy egg-based topping, similar to moussaka.
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g lamb mince
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ tbsp curry powder
- 1 dessert apple, cored and chopped
- 40g ground almonds
- 25g raisins
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 white bread slice soaked in
- 125ml milk
For the topping
- 300ml Greek yogurt
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 15g flaked almonds
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until soft. Increase the heat, add the minced lamb and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until browned. Drain off the fat in a sieve, then return the meat to the pan.
- Preheat oven to 200C/fan180C/gas 6. Add the purée and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add curry powder, apple, ground almonds, raisins, lemon juice and 250ml water. Simmer for 10 minutes, stir in bread and milk, then tip into an ovenproof dish.
- Mix yogurt with eggs, spoon over mince, top with flaked almonds. Bake for 30 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...