Spiced pilau rice
- Serves 4 as a side dish
- Hands-on time 15-20 min, plus soaking
Debbie Major’s pilau rice recipe makes the perfect side to a warming curry dish.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 8.7g (1.5g saturated)
- 71.6g (no sugars)
- trace salt
- 350g basmati rice (see tips)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 cloves
- 8 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 5cm piece cinnamon stick
- 600ml boiling water
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- Put the rice in a large bowl, cover with cold water and run the grains through your fingers to rinse off any excess starch. Drain away the water and repeat the process 2-3 times more until the water runs relatively clear. Cover with more cold water and leave to soak for 5 minutes, then drain well (see tips).
- Heat the oil in a 20cm heavy- based saucepan over a medium heat. Add the whole spices and cook gently over a low heat for 2-3 minutes until they start to smell aromatic. Stir in the rice. Add the 600ml boiling water and 1⁄2 tsp salt, then quickly bring to a vigorous boil. Stir once, cover with a tight-fitting lid and leave to cook over a low heat for 12 minutes (see tips).
- Remove the rice from the heat and leave undisturbed for 2 minutes. Uncover, fluff up the grains with a fork and serve.
Try pairing this rice with Debbie Major’s tomato curry with black mustard seeds.
Debbie says, “Don’t wash and drain the rice too far in advance – if the washed grains are left to dry they will become very brittle and break up during cooking. I sometimes put a little saffron, soaked in 1 tbsp freshly boiled water, into the rice halfway through cooking.”
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...