Spring herb risotto
- April 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make and 35 minutes to cook
Make the most of any spring herbs growing in the garden with this easy risotto recipe. Vegetarians can replace the chicken stock for vegetable stock.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 17.1g (4.3g)
- 66.7g (4g sugar)
- 1.6g salt
- 1 litre good chicken stock
- Pinch of saffron
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 300g arborio rice
- 200ml dry white wine
- Large handful British watercress
- Large handful British spinach
- Small bunch of fresh chives, finely snipped
- 1 tbsp finely sliced fresh basil
- 30g Parmesan, finely grated, plus extra for serving
- Heat the stock to simmering point in a saucepan. Roughly grind the saffron with a tiny pinch of salt using a teaspoon. Mix into the stock.
- Put the oil in a wide heavy-based saucepan. Set over a low heat. Gently fry the onions for 10 minutes or until soft. Add the rice and stir for 2 minutes until it looks translucent.
- Mix in the wine and once it has been almost absorbed, stir in a ladleful of hot stock. Simmer briskly, stirring regularly. Once the stock has been absorbed, add another ladleful of hot stock. Keep repeating the process. After about 18-20 minutes the stock should be used up and the rice will be tender and cooked.
- Wash the watercress and spinach, then dry on kitchen paper and roughly chop.
- Remove the risotto from the heat. Stir the watercress, spinach, herbs and cheese into the rice. Season to taste. Serve with extra Parmesan.
Use vegetable stock and vegetarian Parmesan to make this risotto vegetarian.
Rate & review