Squash with coconut cream and mushrooms
- November 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 30 minutes to cook
This stuffed squash recipe is an impressive starter to serve at your next autumnal dinner party.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 27.2g (17.2g saturated)
- 22.9g (9.8g sugar)
- 4 baby squash, about the size of a large grapefruit
- 300ml coconut milk
- 1 thumb-size piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced
- 50g pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut, lightly toasted
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1½ tbsp fish sauce (or use ½ tsp fine salt)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. The trickiest part of this recipe is preparing the squash. You want to create a lid for each squash, so use a small sharp paring knife, hold it at an angle to the chopping board and carefully cut round the top of each squash, cutting out a shallow cone. Use a teaspoon to scoop out and discard the seeds and the stringy fibres. Place the squash in a baking dish and sit the lids beside them.
- Put the coconut milk in a saucepan with the ginger, chilli and garlic, then bring to a simmer. Take off the heat and mix in the mushrooms, pumpkin seeds and coconut.
- Lightly beat the eggs and fish sauce and stir into the coconut mixture. Spoon into the hollowed-out squash. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a skewer can be inserted through the squash flesh easily. Serve hot or at room temperature.
This tasty baked squash recipe makes a great starter, although you can always make one large one and serve it as part of a dinner party buffet. You can also steam them instead of roasting them.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Caramelised pineapple and coconut trifle with rum syllabub
A boozy, fruity trifle with coconut custard is the perfect end to an evening. This...
Frozen dessert recipes
Banana and coconut no-churn ice cream with brandy and caramel sauce
Creamy banana ice-cream topped with a boozy caramel sauce; the ultimate luxurious dessert.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...