Squid, tomato and rocket risotto
- February 2007
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp saffron strands
- 300g vialone nano risotto rice
- 150ml dry white wine
- 1 litre fresh vegetable or chicken stock
- 300g cleaned, scored, small squid pieces
- 150g halved cherry tomatoes
- Handful of rocket
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Get all your ingredients ready. Heat the olive oil and half the butter in a wide, non-stick pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in the saffron until it begins to release its colour, then add the rice. Stir for 1 minute to coat in the butter, then pour in the wine and bubble until absorbed.
- Meanwhile, put the vegetable or chicken stock in a small saucepan and keep at a low simmer. Add a ladleful to the rice, stirring until absorbed. Continue adding the stock – 1 ladleful at a time, stirring frequently and making sure it is absorbed before adding the next ladleful – until the rice is al dente. This will take about 20 minutes. You might not need all the stock.
- Stir in the remaining butter, cover with the lid and set aside for 2 minutes.
- Fry the squid in a hot, oiled frying pan for 2-3 minutes, until cooked. Stir into the risotto, along with the cherry tomatoes and a handful of rocket.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Rate & review