Sweet saffron lassi
- March 2016
- Serves 2-3
- Hands-on time 10 min
Debbie Major combines the warm flavours of saffron and cardamom to make this creamy drink.
- 22.5g (13.6g saturated)
- 40g (39.2g sugars)
- no fibre
- A generous pinch of saffron strands
- 1 tbsp hot milk
- 250ml ice-cold whole creamy milk or Jersey milk
- 500ml Greek-style natural yogurt (we used Yeo Valley)
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder (made from grinding the seeds from 3-4 cardamom pods in a pestle and mortar)
- 3-4 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped pistachio nuts
- Lightly toast the saffron strands in a small, clean frying pan. Cool, then grind to a powder in a pestle and mortar. Stir in the hot milk and leave to go cold.
- Tip the mixture into a liquidiser and add the cold, creamy milk, yogurt and cardamom powder. Then add the caster sugar according to taste. Blend together in a processor until slightly frothy.
- Pour into glasses over a few ice cubes and garnish with the chopped pistachios.
Rate & review