Thane Prince’s baked lemon pudding
- March 2015
- Serves 6-8
- Hands-on time 15min, oven time 40-45 min
Thane Prince’s zesty lemon dessert recipe is perfect to serve at a dinner party with cream, custard or ice cream.
- 17.3g (9.7g saturated)
- 26.9g (23.3g sugars)
For 8 servings
- 115g unsalted butter at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 170g caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs at room temperature, separated
- Finely grated zest and juice 3 unwaxed lemons
- 40g plain flour
- 300ml milk
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar for about 5 minutes until light in colour, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add the egg yolks one at a time, then the lemon zest, beating until well mixed. Add the flour and beat until smooth. Heat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5.
- With the motor running, very slowly add the lemon juice, then the milk and keep beating for a further 30 seconds.
- Using an electric mixer (with a separate clean bowl and beaters), whisk the egg whites until stiff and glossy. Add to the batter and fold in with a metal spoon.
- Carefully pour the mixture into a greased 1.5 litre ovenproof dish. Put the dish in a deep roasting tin and pour in 2cm boiling water. Transfer to the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden (see tip). Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Thane says: “When I make this family favourite I use a food processor for the initial batter, but you don’t have to.”
You’ll know when the pudding is cooked as it will have a golden, cracked top and a slight wobble in the centre.
Rate & review