Tomato-braised chicken with chickpeas
- October 2013
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 mins to make, 30-40 mins to cook
Donal Skehan’s easy-yet-delicious chicken recipe serves four people for under £5. If you want to make the sauce richer, stir in a glass of red wine before adding the chicken.
- 10.4g (2g saturated)
- 20.3g (4.4g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 free-range chicken thighs
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- In a large deep frying pan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat, then brown the chicken, skin-side down, for 4-5 minutes until golden and crisp. Set aside on a plate.
- In the same pan, gently fry the onion and garlic for 2 minutes, then stir in the herbs. Add the tinned tomatoes and 75ml water, then bring to a simmer. Season the chicken pieces and return to the pan, coating them in the sauce.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 20-30 minutes over a low heat until the chicken is cooked through. Add the chickpeas about 5 minutes before the chicken has finished cooking. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then serve as it is, or with cooked rice, pasta or some crusty bread to mop up the juices.
Skin and shred the chicken from the cooked thighs, then add 500ml good chicken stock to turn the dish into a filling soup
Rate & review