Vodka cherry tomatoes with iced vodka shots
- August 2007
- Serves 6
- Takes 20 minutes to make, plus 2-3 days’ macerating and chilling
The vodka cherry tomatoes with iced vodka shots make a fantastic appetiser when served with crusty bread and pieces of good mature cheddar cheese.
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 600ml vodka
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1 long red chilli, split lengthways
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Prick each tomato all over with a cocktail stick and place in a 1-litre sterilised jar with a tight-fitting lid. Pour over the vodka, then add the peppercorns, chilli, celery salt and lemon slices. Seal, gently shake the jar and set aside in a cool place for 2-3 days. Shake the jar every now and then.
- On the day of serving, strain the soaked tomatoes through a fine sieve over a measuring jug. Reserve the spiced vodka and chill it for 1 hour. Transfer the soaked tomatoes to a serving bowl, discarding the peppercorns, chilli and lemon slices. Cover and set aside at room temperature until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, place 6 shot glasses in the freezer for 30 minutes to chill.
- Divide the chilled vodka between the shot glasses and serve with the vodka tomatoes.
Any leftover spiced vodka will keep in a sterilised jar in the fridge for up to 1 month, and doubles as the perfect base for a Bloody Mary.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter