Fish and chip tacos – video
We’ve given fish, chips and mushy peas a Mexican makeover. Matchstick chips, fried fish and a pea guacamole are served up in the form of a tasty taco.
Find the full recipe in the June 2018 issue of delicious.
This video was made for us by our friends at Fisher & Paykel, using their home appliances.
Fish and chip tacos:
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Toss the matchstick chips with olive oil to coat, then season well with salt and pepper. Spread out in a single layer on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, tossing occasionally, until crisp and golden.
- Put the red onion in a glass or ceramic bowl with the red wine vinegar, sugar and a pinch of salt. Toss well, then set aside.
- For the pea guacamole, mash the peas with the avocado, garlic, juice ½ lime, a handful of coriander leaves and a splash of olive oil in a bowl, then season and set aside.
- For the fish, put the plain flour on a large plate and mix with the taco seasoning. Toss the chunks of fish in the seasoned flour. Heat 1cm olive oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. When hot, fry the fish, in 2 batches, for 3-4 minutes, turning once, until lightly golden all over and cooked through. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Warm the tortillas in the hot oven for 1 minute, then transfer to a plate. In a small serving bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the chipotle paste and remaining juice ½ lime. Drain the red onions and put in a separate small serving bowl.
- To serve, divide the pea guacamole, chips and fish among the tortillas. Drizzle over the chipotle mayonnaise, then top with the pickled onions and the reserved coriander leaves. Eat straightaway with extra lime wedges for squeezing over.
Or opt for seafood instead with our taco salad bowls with prawns.