Baked spiced beetroot with herb yogurt sauce
- November 2015
- Serves 8 as a side dish
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 1 hour 15 min
Aromatic spiced beetroot pairs perfectly with tangy and herby yoghurt in this side dish recipe.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 16.1g (3.9g saturated)
- 5.3g (4.8g sugars)
- Seeds from 3 cardamom pods
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 8 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 8-12 beetroot, depending on size
For the yoghurt dressing
- Small bunch each fresh mint, fresh coriander and fresh parsley
- 250g thick greek yogurt
- Juice ½ lemon
- Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/ gas 6. Lightly toast the cardamom, cumin and coriander seeds in a dry frying pan for 2-3 minutes, tossing regularly, until fragrant. Lightly crush in a pestle and mortar, then mix with the oil and salt in a small (including the stem if still attached), then cut an ‘x’ in the top of each beetroot, to about a third of the way down. Put on a square of baking paper or foil, then drizzle over 1 tbsp of the spiced oil, including the spices.
- Tightly wrap the beetroot in the paper/foil, then put in a baking dish in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes for small-medium beetroot, or bake for 10-15 minutes longer if they’re large.
- For the dressing, roughly chop the herbs and whizz in a food processor with the yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil and seasoning. Serve the beetroot with the yogurt dressing on the side.bowl. Cut the tops off the beetroot.
Make the spiced oil up to 24 hours ahead and keep in a sealed jar.
Rate & review